Tuesday 17 October 2017

Outlaw in development.

Outlaw, game 3 is under development. One player only here, and as with Invaders a few posts back, currently very one way - the other gunfighter doesn't actually fight back.

The ROM is now slightly less than half full. I reckon the opponent code for this game will take a page maybe. That will leave me with 6 games (DodgeEm, RoadRunner, Superman, Seawars, Football and Basketball) and 15 pages left, or about three each.

I'm beginning to wonder about what games were there and what were completed. Roger Hector (interview with Atari Compendium) is very explicit:

Internal Atari Document
A: Yes, that was pretty much the end for me.  We had conceived of and
patented a whole new technology (mass-producible holographic displays), and created a finished tooled product that was supported by 8 finished games (Asteroids, Basketball, Destroyer, Football, Outlaw, Road Runner, Space Invaders, and Superman).

Q: A press kit labeled Electronic Entertainment has a flyer that lists 9 games, and a letter that mentions there were 8 (but only lists 7).  Two different titles mentioned were Dodge 'Em and Sea Battle.  Were either of those being worked on, or were they simply vaporware?


A: There were a number of brainstorming sessions that considered other games, but the original 8 were the only ones worked on.

This is supported with an internal document (see above). I think I'm going to go with Hector here. So Dodge'Em and Sea Wars are off and replaced by Destroyer. I'm guessing this was a simpler game, it sounds simpler certainly (it's loosely described by Roger Hector).

With this it starts to look reasonably plausible. Reasonably, I must add. Of the five (now) incomplete Destroyer, Road Runner and Superman don't worry me too much. I'm wondering how much code Football and Basketball share.

No comments:

Post a Comment